If you have bought a new computer recently and want to update your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to iOS 5 or any other version using iTunes, you will have to lose all of you data in your iDevice in order to perform this update. But if you do it with the method written in this post you can save your app data and settings on your iDevice. The method is super simple and does not take a lot of time. Read on to see the step by step guide. [LifeHacker]
- First you’ll need to authorize your new computer with the same iTunes account as you used on your previous computer. Chances are you’ve already done this, but to double check, select Store > Authorize This Computer, enter your Apple ID and password, and click Authorize. (Per the Apple support page, “If the iTunes Store purchases on your device were purchased with multiple accounts, you will need to authorize the computer for each one.”
- Plug in your iDevice. When your device shows up in the iTunes sidebar, select File > Transfer Purchases from iPad (or whatever you iDevice’s name is). iTunes will move all your apps from your device to your computer.
- Sync your apps from your device to your computer in iTunes by click the Apps tab from your device page, ticking the sync apps link, and applying. (I forgot to add this step initially—apologies.)
- Now, for good measure, right-click your device in the iTunes sidebar and select backup. (I’m not sure this is completely necessary, but it made me feel better.)
- Now just download and apply the iOS 5 update like you normally would (that is, click the big Update button). All your apps and settings should remain in tact.
- Use iTunes 11 to backup and restore iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch [How to]
- Back up and restore your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad data with iCloud [how to]
- How to prepare your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch for iOS 6.1 untethered jailbreak (evasi0n)
- iTunes 10.5 goes final, now available for download
- Apple seeds iTunes 10.5.1 beta 3 to developers to further test iTunes Match
If you enjoyed this post then share it and tell us what you think by leaving a comment below.Tweet