iOS 5 is on tethered jailbreak these day, that means you have to connect your device to RedSn0w on your PC every time it reboots in order to use it and if you do not then you are stuck at Apple logo at very start. Now a new solution has been posted by BigBoss in Cydia that allows users to semi-tethered their devices and use them even after they reboot under tethered jailbreak. This semi-tethered solution for iOS devices is ideal if your device somehow reboots when you are on the road and away from your computer.
The reason why it is called SemiTether is that it does not allows you to use everything on your device. With SemiTether installed on your (tethered) jailbroken iOS 5 device you will be able to call, send text, use stock applications and App Store applications. However you will not be able to use Safari (but, you can use any third party browser like atomic web browser) and Mail (can use it using any third party app).
Jailbreak apps, tweaks, themes and other stuff will also not work in Semi-Tethered state.
This is an interim solution that we can use until iPhone Dev-Team releases real untethered jailbreak that we know and love. You can download Semitether from BigBoss repo in Cydia for free.
- How to Semi tethered jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad
- Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.0 gets demonstrated in a video
- UltraSn0w tool for iPhone gets updated with iOS 5 support
- Jailbreakers! Stay away from iOS 6 update until further notice
- Corona 5.0.1 Untether jailbreak updated to fix iBooks error