According to a recent report by research firm Canalys, Apple will become world’s largest PC maker if we include tablets in overall PC sales. Canalys doubts about Apple taking away the first spot from HP in the fourth quarter of this year but it says that it is very likely that Apple will beat HP in PC shipments and become the largest PC maker of the world next year with the release of iPad 3.
“Apple has seen its PC market share expand from 9% to 15% in just four quarters, though iPad shipments in its core market – the United States – are likely to come under pressure in Q4 due to the launch of the Fire and Nook at extremely competitive price points,” said Canalys Analyst Tim Coulling. “HP and Apple will fight for top position in Q4, but Apple may have to wait for the release of iPad 3 before it passes HP.”
Canalys notes that comparatively cheaper Android tablets such as Kindle Fire and Nook could effect iPad sales but Apple would recover with the release of iPad 3, that is expected to get announced in the first quarter of 2012.
- In Q4 2012 Apple sold 1 iPad against 5 PC sales says Canalys
- Report: iPad 3 to become available in 3-4 months
- Report: iOS grabbed 68 percent tablet marketshare in the last quarter
- Report: Production of 7.85-inch iPad mini to start in Q2 2012
- iPad accounts 88 percent of total global tablet web traffic