iOS hacker @Pod2g has tweeted a link to his Youtube video in which he has demonstrated untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0. He has showed iOS 5.0 that has been untethered jailbreaked on an iPod touch. Currently all iOS devices on iOS 5 are running on tethered or semi-tethered jailbreaks except iPhone 4S and iPad 2. He has not revealed an ETA for the jailbreak in his tweet. We hope that we will get our hands on this untethered jailbreak soon.
Currently only iOS 4 series is on untethered jailbreak. iOS 5.0, iOS 5.0.1, 5.0.2, and iOS 5.1 have all been tethered jailbreaked and an untethered jailbreak is still yet to be released for any iOS 5 series update.
Difference between a tethered and untethered jailbreak is that in tethered jailbreak you have to connect your device to redsn0w jailbreak tool on your computer in order to properly boot it. In untethered jailbreak you don’t have to connect your device to your computer and you can turn it on and off just like you would do with a normal iOS device.
- Hackers make progress in iOS 6 untethered jailbreak, still far from releasing it for public
- pod2g demos untethered jailbreak for iPhone 4S (video)
- Jailbreakers! Stay away from iOS 6 update until further notice
- Evad3rs announce evasi0n tool to untethered jailbreak iOS 6.x, will be released on Sunday
- Absinthe 2.0 tool to untethered jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 on every iOS device now available for download