The rumors about the existence of an iPad Mini will not stop until Apple releases one. Now DigiTimes reports that Apple will begin the production of an 7.85-inch iPad tablet in the second quarter of 2012. This iPad mini or whatever you would like to call it, will be released in the fourth quarter of next year right on time for the holiday season. DigTimes says that the next generation iPad 3 will not be affected by this smaller tablet and will release on schedule in the Q1 of next year.
Citing a source in the supply chain Digitimes reports
Global shipments of tablet PCs are expected to reach 60 million units in 2011, of which 70% will be Apple’s iPads. To cash in on market demand as well as market expectations, Apple is expected to release its next-generation iPads at the end first-quarter 2012, said the sources.
According to their source Apple is now buying 7.85-inch displays from LG Display and AU Optronics. The production of these 7.85-inch display panels will begin in the second quarter of 2012.
Although this report cannot be taken as truly accurate, but if it is true then releasing a 7.85-inch seems to be a good decision by Apple keeping account of cheaper tablets like the $200 Kindle Fire and others that can potentially dent the sales of $500+ iPad, which has remained the undisputed king of modern tablets in the last two years.
- Report: iPad 3 to become available in 3-4 months
- Report: iPad mini production to start in September with supply volume of 4 million units per month
- Apple and LG in talks for 4-inch and 7.35-inch displays for iPhone and iPad
- iPad mini Could Outshine the Current iPad With Its Design. Apple Readies 10 Million iPad mini Units for the 4th Quarter
- Report: iOS grabbed 68 percent tablet marketshare in the last quarter
If you enjoyed this post then share it and tell us what you think by leaving a comment below.Tweet