Famed iOS hacker Chronic in a blog post has said that iPad 3 will feature 1GB of RAM. He says that this was in plain sight since February when BGR published the debug output of an iPad 3 development unit (screenshot above). He says that the last line of this output clearly indicates that Apple’s next generation iPad has 1GB RAM installed in it. iPad 3 will be the first ever iOS device to feature this much RAM as iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad 2 all have 512MB RAM installed in them.
Chronic found it out by looking at the following last line from the debug output above, which he completed himself.
The (full) last line says:
vm_page_bootstrap: 244276 free pages and 8396 wired pages
So, just do some simple math:
244,276 (pages) x 4,096 bytes (size of a page) = 1,000,554,496 bytes = 1GB (rounded)
[ChronicWire via CultofMac]
- New iPad gets benchmarked: Has 1GB RAM but same processor speed as iPad 2
- Leaked images reveal next iPad will be LTE capable and powered by a Quad-Core processor
- Apple announces iPad 3. Features Retina Display, Quad Core graphics, Better Cameras, LTE and more
- What we think we know about the upcoming iPad 3 [reports and rumors]
- Apple sells three million new iPads in less than a week