Apple recently released iOS 5.0 update for Apple TV 2 that brings several new updates and a brand new user-interface to it. The good news is that today FireCore has announced that it’s Seas0nPass jailbreak tool has been updated to tethered jailbreak this new version of Apple TV software and now allows users to run jailbreak plugins including Last.fm, Weather, NitoTV, RSS Feeds, Maintenance, Couch Surfer, and Media Player on their devices. aTV Flash (black) has also been updated to support this new version of Apple TV software.
If you haven’t updated to the latest version of Apple TV software yet, here’s what you are missing
What’s new in the 5.0 AppleTV software? Should I update?
- New interface: – Fast, visual access to all content choices
- Movie purchases in iCloud: Support for buying movies on Apple TV and playing back purchased movies from iCloud
- Genius Recommendations: Recommendations for content on the iTunes Store based on previous rentals and purchases
- Screensaver photos: New National Geographic photos built-in for screensaver
- On-device sign-up: On-device sign up for content partners on Apple TV using your Apple ID
Though many apps are working, there are several apps that require an author update for 5.0 compatibility. These apps include Plex, Overflow, Remote HD, Rowmote, and XBMC.
What about Apple TV 3?
Well this release does not work on the latest model of Apple TV, but don’t worry as devs are working hard to bring support to Apple TV 3 and you will hear a good news soon.
Before updating your Apple TV to iOS 5.0 and jailbreaking it, please note that it is a tethered jailbreak and requires user to connect Apple TV to Mac/PC on every reboot. No ETA of untethered jailbreak release has been given yet.
- How to Semi tethered jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad
- iTunes 10.5 goes final, now available for download
- How to jailbreak original iPad running iOS 5.1 using RedSn0w on Windows and Mac [Guide]
- RedSn0w 0.9.9b3 now available to tethered jailbreak iOS 5 GM
- Sn0wBreeze jailbreak tool updated to bring iOS 5.1 support