According to a new report by Fusible, Apple has filed a claim with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) for iPhone5.com domain name. Currently iPhone5.com is registered by FABULOUS.COM PTY LTD. The domain name was updated on 3 May 2012, and will expire in the year 2021 according to the WHOIS record of the domain. Right now iPhone5.com is a forum site related to upcoming Apple iPhone. Previously Apple has never tried to gain control of domain names before the release of it’s products. Apple acquired iPhone4.com and iPhone4s.com after both related products were announced.
Worth noting here is that not only Apple has tried to gain access of this domain name much earlier than ever, this claim also indicates that Apple will name it’s upcoming iPhone as iPhone 5 instead of ‘the new iPhone’ or any other name speculated by the press, we are not sure on this though. Another point of view can be that the next iPhone whatever it is going to be named is widely referred to as iPhone 5 so it may be logical for Apple to get control of the domain name, even if it does not want to name it’s device as iPhone 5.
Via / Source
- Apple wins iPhone5.com domain name through complaint to the World Intellectual Property Organization
- Fully assembled photos of next iPhone allegedly reveal how the device would look like
- Rumor: Apple’s next iPhone to have a 3.9-inch screen with 1136X640 resolution
- Apple sends out invitations for September 12 iPhone 5 event
- This is how your next iPhone could look like [iPhone 5 mockup]