Apple has just released a brand new app in the App Store called Podcasts. Podcasts app allows users to play their favorite podcasts, discover new ones and subscribe to their favorite sources right on their iOS device. With Podcasts app users can not only listen to audio podcasts available in iTunes, but they can also watch video podcasts in the new app. Podcasts are organized by topics that makes it easier for users to find the one they are interested in. Users can also listen to the most popular podcasts from popular section of the app. Apple has added a new Top Stations feature that makes it easier for users to find popular podcasts belonging to a variety of topics including comedy, music, sports etc.
Podcasts app allows users to download podcasts for offline listening. The controls on the now playing screen allow users to pause/play, skip forward or backwards, and adjust the speed of podcast playback. A nice feature of the app called Sleep Timer allows users to turn the playing podcast off at specific time when listening in bed.
Features of Podcasts app for iOS include:
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
Podcasts is a universal app and is available in the App Store for free. Podcasts app for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad requires iOS 5.1 to run. iTunes 10.6.3 is required for optional episodes syncing.
- Apple updates Podcasts and Keynote apps with iOS 6 support and more
- Apple rolls out redesigned search layout for iOS 6 App Store
- Apple updates Find My iPhone to add Lost Mode, Battery charge indicator, and more
- Play videos and audio at faster Playback rate using FastForward tweak from Cydia
- Apple releases iTunes 11 for Mac. Download Now!