Apple released iOS 6.0 yesterday. This major software update release brings new features and improvements to iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. With the release of iOS 6.0, Dev-Team warned users that the new iOS version is not compatible with current jailbreak and they should restrain themselves from upgrading to iOS 6.0 until further notice. They then published a breakdown of jailbreak scenarios to educate users about the current situation of iOS hacking. Now iPhone Dev-Team has got iOS 6.0 working on the latest dev version of RedSn0w, and users with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch 4th generation can download this version and perform a tethered jailbreak on their iOS device using the ‘developer’ version of RedSn0w. This jailbreak method is not for beginners though, as you will be required to install Cydia manually, as RedS0w has not been updated with that functionality. Proceed with caution and read the instructions on how to tethered jailbreak iOS 6.0 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch 4th generation using RedSn0w.
Note 1: Do not use this method if you have to unlock your iPhone to use it on other networks. If you have any device other than iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch 4th generation please do not use this method.
Note 2: This is a tethered jailbreak, that means you will need to connect your iOS device to RedSn0w on every reboot.
Make sure to store back up of your device’s data on your computer before beginning.
1. Download iOS 6.0 for your device from this link. Once you have downloaded the latest version of iOS, connect your iPhone or iPod touch with iTunes and click on it’s name from side pane. Now press hold the shift key on Windows or Option key on Mac and click on the Restore button. From the window select iOS 6.0 file you just downloaded and upgrade your iOS device to the latest version of iOS.
2. After your device is running iOS 6.0, download RedSn0w for your platform from these links [Windows/Mac]. After downloading extract RedSn0w and run it. You need to run RedSn0w in Admin mode on Windows 7 and on the Mac you need to press the control key while clicking on the icon and then selecting Open from the new menu.
3. When your device is connected to your PC which is running RedSn0w click on the ‘Extras’ button and from next screen on ‘Select IPSW’ button. From the window point RedSn0w to iOS 6.0 file you have downloaded from the web.
4. Once iOS 6.0 is pointed in RedSn0w go back to the first screen and click on the ‘Jailbreak’ button.
5. Put your device in DFU mode by following the on-screen instructions. Now RedSn0w will begin uploading the jailbreak data on your device. Wait patiently and let it do its job. It will take up to 1-2 minutes, and during this process you will see lines of codes on your device, which is completely normal so don’t panic!.
Your device will reboot now.
As this is a tethered jailbreak (that means you will have to do the following two steps every time you reboot your iOS device) you should follow the steps below.
1 ) Open RedSn0w and click on ‘Extras’ button your your screen.
2 ) Now click on “Just Boot” button and click on next. Your device should run normally, and you will see Cydia on your homescreen.
Your device is now jailbroken, but Cydia is not installed on it as RedSn0w in not configured to install Cydia on devices running iOS 6.0. You will need to do it manually, here’s how:
If you are on a Mac open Terminal, if you are on Windows Download WinSCP from here.
- Note down the IP address of your device.
- Make sure your device is connected to your PC or Mac. Start Terminal on Mac or WinSCP on Windows and type:
ssh [email protected]<IP address of your device goes here>
- It will now prompt you to enter the root password. Type: alpine
- Once done, type:
wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh && chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh && /tmp/cyinstall.sh
Once done, the device will reboot and you will see a fully functional Cydia on your iOS device running iOS 6.0. Enjoy!
- How to jailbreak iOS 6.0.1 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, or iPod touch 4th generation using RedSn0w
- Jailbreak iOS 6.0 running on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4th generation with Sn0wbreeze [Guide]
- How to jailbreak iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.1 on Windows and Mac [Guide]
- How to jailbreak iPod touch 3rd and 4th Generation running iOS 5.1 on Windows and Mac [guide]
- How to jailbreak iOS 5 on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad using RedSn0w
If you enjoyed this post then share it and tell us what you think by leaving a comment below.Tweet