The iOS 16.4 version that is currently in testing comes with new features and improvements. One of them is related to the Shortcuts app, and that is now we will have the opportunity to create and use a shortcut that automates the screen lock of our iPhone.
Users who update their Apple device to iOS 16.4 will not only be able to automate the iPhone’s always-on display. Well, they will also be able to create a new shortcut that will allow them to lock the screen of their iPhone when they perform a certain action. Something that they can even do using the Siri voice assistant.
With this new automation of the Shortcuts app, you will be able to customize the behavior of the screen after being locked. For example, you can decide if you want the screen to turn off after being locked, or if you prefer it to stay onthat is, blocked, but with light.
Steps to create the shortcut that automates the screen lock
Next, we will show you the steps you have to follow so that you can create and use a shortcut that allows you to lock the screen of your iPhone. Note that you will need to be running iOS 16.4 beta, or else wait for its public release.
- Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone
- Touch the button “+”
- Next, press “add action”
- in the search bar write the term Lock screenand when the result is displayed, press to select.
- You can customize the shortcut with conditions such as: “Yes”, “Select from menu” or “Define variable”. If you just want to create a basic shortcut, click on “okay” at the top right of the screen.
And ready! That way you will have created a shortcut that locks the screen of your iPhone that is ready to use.
How to use the screen lock shortcut
To add the home screen lock shortcut on your iPhone you have to do the following:
- On the home screen of the Shortcuts app, press the icon of the three dots in the shortcut created.
- On the edit screen, click on the arrow icon next to the name Lock screen. A menu will be displayed.
- Select the option “Add to home screen”.
- Confirm the action by clicking on “Add”.
From now on, this shortcut will be displayed on your iPhone home screen, which you can use to lock your iPhone screen.