The privacy and security of Apple is one of the flagships of the Californian company. Proof of this have been the famous confrontations that have taken place between Tim Cook and Mack Zuckerberg for preventing the transfer and transmission of user data. However, despite the fact that Apple searches for the minimum data of the user, there is data that it stores and that you can easily consult. In this post we tell you how to access them.
What does Apple allow us to download?
Tim Cook’s company allows you to download a copy of all personal information. This information includes everything from purchase history, to application information such as Apple Music, Photos, Calendar, as well as information from Apple servers.
How to ask for a security quota of your data in Apple
The process to request to download our data is very simple. We will carry it out online on a specific page for it. We do so:
- You open the Safari app on our Mac or iPad or from your reference browser on Windows.
- You enter privacy.apple.com
- You enter our email, password and, if we have it activated, the two-factor authentication code.
- you tap on Request a copy of your data.
- The available information is divided into two work blocks. On the one hand, the first block contains the smallest elements, such as transaction histories or Apple ID details. The second block includes all of our photos, iCloud Drive files, and our mail.
- We mark the information we want to include in the download file, we can use Select all if we want. Let’s take into account the size of the resulting file when selecting items from the second section.
- Click on continue.
- Appear different download options of the files to prevent the files from being very large. The recommended size might be 5GB, because that’s the minimum iCloud storage.
- You complete the application.
- To complete the process, you receive an email from Apple with a summary of the information you have requested. In this email Apple will remind us that “This process can take up to seven days. To ensure the security of your data, we use this time to verify that the request was really made by you. When your data is ready, we will let you know”
Two questions about the download:
It is important to note that the size of the information can be considerable, especially if we have premium subscriptions to iCloud. However, Apple offers to split the file into smaller files to make it more manageable. The process is downloaded, it is done through files .Zip. Finally, for security reasons, Apple offers the possibility of downloading the information within 7 days, with the aim of avoiding vulnerabilities in your iCloud account and an external user being able to download your account information.
After the seven days indicated by Apple, you receive an email with a direct link with which you can download the data again, where you can store it on an external SSD hard drive or in the Time Machine backup. The objective is twofold: on the one hand, to obtain all the information that Apple stores about you, to be able to download it, and on the other hand, to continue in a private and secure environment. Remember that this process of downloading information can also be done with orbehind tech companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp.
Leave us in the comments if you have ever downloaded all the information that Apple keeps about us.