MagSafe technology returned a few years ago to stay (and well supported that Apple has it). The most recent iPhones have this technology that allows magnetic charging and compatibility with many accessories such as wallets, portable batteries and even supports. However, there is a way that you can have MagSafe on an older iPhone.
Even if Apple says no, you can have MagSafe
From Apple’s own website, it refers to the fact that compatibility with MagSafe and its accessories is only available from iPhone 12 onwards. However, what do the iPhone 8 Plus, the iPhone X / XS / XR and the iPhone 11 have in common? Well, indeed, have wireless charging. And what is one of MagSafe’s strengths? Wireless charging.
This does not indicate that they are already compatible with MagSafe. In fact, they have QI charging, but they do not have the magnetic ring with which to attach accessories. You can charge one of these iPhones with Apple’s official MagSafe charger. You can load them, yes, but they won’t go away attach magnetically. MagSafe’s magnetic dock adds more possibilities to expand iPhone hardware. A card holder, the official MagSafe battery? Well, there is an accessory with which, if you have an iPhone with wireless charging, you can add that extra support it needs.
MagSafe for older iPhones with this accessory
Thanks to a third-party accessory, HaloLock MagSafe, we will be able to convert our older iPhones into compatible and fully functional devices with the MagSafe ecosystem and its accessories. From magnetic wireless charging to card holders (yes, those that Apple says can only be used from the iPhone 12, that’s not entirely true). The list of older iPhones compatible with this ring is as follows:
- iPhone 8Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS / XS Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max
This ring has to be glued to the case of our iPhone. Not on the device itself. Also, the case has to be smooth and hard plastic. All those that have rough or velvety surfaces will not work for us. Instead, smooth rigid plastic or silicone cases, and even Apple’s official rigid transparent cases, those do they will be compatible.
To install the ring you have to follow a very simple process. Two rings, some cleaning cloths, a template and an adapter for the guide come in the product box. The steps to be followed, once the box is opened, are the following:
- Without removing the iPhonethe entire cover must be cleaned and dried well.
- We connect the plastic part to the lightning connector of our iPhone. This will help us to attach the template and place the ring in the right place. Right where the wireless charging coil is.
- We place the template on the two skewers of the plastic piece. Is is a reference guide. Depending on the model you have, you will have to place the guide higher or lower. And in the guide itself it tells us in which holes we have to place it, depending on our iPhone model.
- We remove the plastics that protect the adhesive of the magnetic ring, and we introduce it in the cut hole Of the template.
Once this is done, we will only have to apply light pressure on both parts. On the part of the ring and on the part of the iPhone. In addition, it is recommended wait about five minutes before connecting any accessories. In this way we make sure that the ring will be attached to the case of our iPhone.