Among the many useful features that our iPhone offers, the Weather application has evolved over time, and now, it gives us the ability to receive emergency weather alerts. In this article, we show you how to activate and take advantage of these alerts on your iPhone to keep you safe in adverse weather situations.
What are severe weather alerts?
To start, it’s important to understand what exactly severe weather alerts are and why they are important to our safety. As the name suggests, these alerts are notifications received through our Apple device when a severe weather, emergency, or bad weather alert is issued in our area. This can include different types of dangerous weather conditions, such as storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, flash floods, heat waves, and more.
The feature is especially important in situations where preparation for adverse weather can make the difference between safety and danger. By receiving real-time alerts about the weather, we can take steps to stay safe, protect our loved ones, and avoid dangerous situations.
However, it is also important to note that these alerts are not available in all countries and regions. Severe weather alerts were currently available in countries such as the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia, India, Japan, China, Brazil, Thailand and most countries and regions in Europe.
How to activate severe weather notifications?
Now that we have reviewed the importance of these alerts, let’s move on to how to activate them on our device. Follow these steps to ensure you receive severe weather alerts on your iPhone:
- Enable access to your location:
The first step to receiving severe weather alerts on your iPhone or iPad is to allow the Weather app to access your exact location. This is crucial to receive accurate alerts.
- Open the app «Settings» on your device.
- Go to “Privacy & Security”.
- Tap «Location» and activate this option.
Now in the list of applications, find and select “Weather”.
Within the Weather App settings from your iPhone settings, tap Location and make sure you activate the sharing option always The localization.
With these settings in place, the Weather app will be able to track your location in real time and provide personalized alerts based on exact coordinates.
- Enable notifications in the Weather app:
The next step is to turn on notifications so you can receive severe weather alerts on your device. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Weather app on your iPhone or iPad.
- At the bottom right, you’ll see an icon that looks like a bulleted list. Tap it to continue.
- Then, in the top right corner, you will find a three dots icon. Tap it to access more options.
- Select the “Notifications” option and tap “Continue.”
- If the app asks for permission to send notifications, select “Allow” and, if necessary, “Allow” again.
- Now, you can activate the notifications you want to receive, such as “Severe Weather” and “Precipitation in the next hour.”
- Once you’ve made your selections, tap “Done” to complete the process.
With these settings, your device will be prepared to receive real-time severe weather alerts, keeping you informed and safe in inclement weather conditions.