Have you ever wanted to take screenshots or make recordings on your Apple TV? You might want to do it to show off something you were looking at or to show a friend your game progress. Regardless of the need you have, this is something you can achieve with the help of a Mac and your home wireless network.
Next, We are going to show you the steps you must follow in case you want to take a screenshot or record the screen of your Apple TV.
Steps to take a screenshot on Apple TV
You no longer need to connect a Mac via cable to take an Apple TV screenshot. Well, thanks to the latest update to tvOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, you can now do this procedure over a wireless network. To achieve this, you just have to follow these steps:
- Turn on the Apple TV and verify that it is connected to the same WiFi network as the Mac you are going to use. You can find this out by going to the “Network” section in Apple TV’s settings.
- Once verified that both devices are connected to the same network, open the QuickTime Player app which is installed by default on the Mac.
- Go to the top bar of the screen and select the option “Archive” followed by “new video recording”.
- You will see that the screen with the recording of the webcam opens. Next to the red and white record button, there is a arrow down that you will have to press.
- In the drop-down menu, in the section “Camera”, you are going to choose the Apple TV as the video source.
- If this is the first time you do this, the Mac will show a pop-up window that says: Enter the AirPlay code from your Apple TV. At the same time, you will see a 4-digit code on the Apple TV screen. Enter this code on your Mac to authenticate the connection between the two devices.
- At that point, the Apple TV screen will be mirrored in QuickTime on the Mac, while a red border will appear on the TV screen. This means that your screen is being used on another device.
- Navigate to the part of the screen you want to capture using the Siri Remote.
- Click once on QuickTime Player to hide control boxsince if you do not do this, it will appear on the screenshot.
- Press the keys at the same time Shift + Command + 4 on the Mac keyboard. Then, press the Enter key and hover over QuickTime Player, and click to take a screenshot of your Apple TV. The image will be saved automatically.
Steps to make an Apple TV screen recording
If what you want is to record the screen of your Apple TV, the process is as follows:
- Make sure that both Apple TV and Mac are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open QuickTime Player on Mac and follow the path “Archive” and then “new video recording”.
- press the arrow which is next to the white and red record button.
- Choose your Apple TV under the headings “Screen” and “Sound”.
- Drag the speaker icon to the right to activate itsince otherwise the recording will have no sound.
- Click the red and white button to record what’s streaming on the Apple TV screen.
- To stop recording, use the stop button in QuickTime.
- To finish, press the red close button in the upper left corner of QuickTime to save the recording to your Mac.
Take screenshots on older Apple TV models
If you have an older model of Apple TV and can’t follow the steps above to take screenshots and record, try the following:
- Connect your Apple TV to a Mac using a USB-C cable, or via an HDMI cable.
- Open the program xcode on the Mac.
- Click on “Window” and then in “Devices in the menu bar”.
- Choose Apple TV and click on “take screenshot”.