iOS hacker MuscleNerd has confirmed via Twitter that the newly released iOS 5.1 can be tethered jailbreak using RedSn0w on non-A5 iOS devices.
Thanks to Geohot’s limera1n exploit users with devices prior to iPad 2 and iPhone 4S can simply jailbreak there iOS 5.1 running devices using RedSn0w 0.910b6.
So if you are running iOS 5.1 on iPhone 4, original iPad, iPod touch 3rd and 4th generation, download iOS 5.1 from the links here, and then jailbreak it using RedSnow (guides here).
You can download RedSn0w 0.910b6 for Windows here and Mac here.
Before you jailbreak your iOS 5.1, read the following instructions
- This is a *tethered* 5.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. You’ll need to use redsn0w to “Just Boot” your device every time it power cycles, otherwise, jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari).
- If you use ultrasn0w for your carrier unlock, be sure to use a custom IPSW to get to 5.1 first! Don’t ever restore to a stock Apple IPSW! Use redsn0w’s “Custom IPSW” button to create a NO_BB_* version of the 5.1 IPSW and restore to that instead of the stock one. (That option is available only to 3GS and iPhone4-GSM owners.) ultrasn0w itself will be updated for 5.1 in the next few days (same baseband support, not 5.1’s baseband).
- If you’re lucky enough to have an old-bootROM 3GS, this jailbreak is actually untethered (redsn0w will figure that part out automatically).
- While we were at it, we added @pod2g’s steaks4uce exploit to support MC models of the iPod touch 2G (whose last firmware was 4.2.1). So now redsn0w will auto-detect and jailbreak all versions of that older device.
- iBooks won’t work until a future update of redsn0w.