It’s been 14 days since Apple announced iOS 16 as a reality in Keynote, and one week less since the first full version was released to the general public. One of the biggest novelties of this operating system was the incredible possibility of customizing the home screen, from the font, through photos that are superimposed on the time or the possibility of including application widgets that allow it. And about the latter, there are no longer a few third-party apps that offer new widgets so that we can improve the way we work with our iPhone.
In the early days, and despite the fact that many apps were already being updated for the arrival of iOS 16, most of the widgets available were those of native Apple applications, being able to put widgets for reminders, weather, activity (now that you can close the rings with just the iPhone, no Apple Watch, it was a great way to motivate people), alarms, etc. But, little by little, many third parties have been nurturing and expanding the range of possibilities by updating their apps to include functional widgets on the lock screen of our iPhone. And these are the best that we have been able to test.
- Plant Daddy – Reminders to water our plants. This app offers us simple reminders to water our plants depending on the type we have, without having to worry about knowing what day of the week it is to know if our plants require our care. The widget occupies two positions on the lock screen.
- Shop – To track our orders. With this app we can include a widget on the lock screen to track our orders from all Shopify websites. If you are one of those who cannot wait any longer to know when your order arrives, this is the widget.
- FotMob – For football lovers. The app allows you to include a widget where news and updates from the world of football are displayed. That your team wins the league? You will be the first to know even without unlocking your iPhone.
- Calendars – A very visual and powerful alternative to the traditional Apple calendar. It allows us a multitude of widgets, from shortcuts to create new events, to the typical reminder of your plans for today, an indicator of the current day… wonderful.
- Zones – For international travelers or workers. Zones allows us to see different time zones at a glance.
- Widgetsmith – We continue with customization. Widgetsmith has already caused a stir with the arrival of widgets in iOS 15, allowing us to customize our home screens with all kinds of possibilities: Add photos, calendars, notes, clocks, shortcuts… and everything 100% customizable in fonts and color. Well, its update brings us more of the same for the lock screen this time.
- SocialStats – Visualizing your impact on social networks. SocialStats allows us to have information about our favorite social network at a glance and, for example, to be able to easily check the number of followers we have on Twitter.
- Carrot Weather – One of the historical alternatives to the Apple Weather app. Carrot Weather is updated and now allows us to bring weather information to our lock screen. So that we do not forget the umbrella in the worst moments.
- Flighty – To not miss a single flight. Thanks to Flighty, we will be able to have information on how much flight time remains, departure times and other key information when taking a plane. If we are late, surely not wasting time unlocking our iPhone helps.
- Home Widget – Substitute for shortcuts in some way for home automation. It allows us to have direct access to actions on our HomeKit devices.
We certainly expect a lot from this functionality in the coming months, as well as from the live notifications that will arrive in the next versions of iOS 16. a new way of interacting with our devices in the hands of third parties and with all the possibilities of the world ahead. We leave the link to all of them in the App Store below so you can easily download it.