The notifications you receive on your Mac is a great way to stay informed of all the activities you have to do on a daily basis. However, sometimes it can be tedious to have so many notifications on a daily basis, so we are going to show you how to use notifications correctly to be more productive.
You can control notifications by yourself
In your Mac’s system preferences, click on the “Notifications and concentration” window. In it, you can determine which applications you want to emit notifications and under what circumstances they want certain reminders or warnings to be notified. At the top of this window, the notification and concentration sections appear.
- Notifications: You can determine two workflows at times when you are not working or at times when you require maximum concentration. The notifications tab is maintained at all times so that you can customize each application to your liking, since you can allow the emission of notifications from them or the style in which they arrive.
- Concentration modes: In the case of concentration modes, there are three modes known to all Apple users: do not disturb, rest and work, where you can determine the concentration mode between certain time slots and allow which applications you want to receive notifications as well.
Here you can also control other features, such as whether notifications appear on your lock screen or include a preview. In a preview, you can see part of the email message, chat, or other content associated with the notification. You can choose to never show previews, always, or only when you unlock your Mac.
Customize the macOS notification center
To open Notification Center, click in the upper right corner of your screen or swipe left with two fingers from the right edge of your trackpad. There are five ways to customize this system, which we will analyze below:
- For see notifications that you missed, like calendar alerts or FaceTime calls, click Notifications at the top of Notification Center.
- For open a notification in the app that sent it, click the notification. The notification will be removed after the Notification Center.
- For remove notifications without opening them, click the delete button next to the notification or group of notifications.
To reveal controls for Do Not Disturb and Night Shift, swipe up (or swipe down) on the Notification Center.
- For open notification preferencesclick the gear button in the lower right corner of the Notification Center.
- Lastly, you can also enable or disable notifications for specific websites or prevent websites from asking permission to send notifications, and that you can do it both in Safari and in your default browser.
Mastering this series of basic and advanced tools allows you to focus on your work and above all, it allows you to be more productive due to the absence of constant notifications if you have very structured, complex work days. If you have important notifications, you just have to allow these applications to issue certain notifications at specific times, so you can forget about everything you have to do in the day and worry about what you are doing at that moment.